The most dreaded sentence an overweight person can hear, and I heard it today. And it's not the only time I have been asked. Now perhaps I could brush it off as just your average asian pedicurist used to dealing with a naturally thin population, but something happened yesterday as well that opened my eyes. I was having a MRI done and when I got to the window to pay, the receptionist said, 'Did you have a sonogram, too?"
Moving to a small town and away from the rail thin population of LA, I was glad to live in a community that had a little more meat on their bones. And I must say, they are many,many people here with more meat than I. But it doesn't take away from the fact that I am at an unhealthy weight.
To be honest, the remark didn't even phase me emotionally. I think that it what scares me most. That I have become so desensitized to this issue, that I am so numb, really shows me how much I am not dealing with this issue.
I wrote before that I was going on a diet. Not really. I sort of developed a loose food plan in my head and followed it. Not too bad, but not really being accountable for what I was eating, let alone what I was thinking and feeling.
So I joined sparkpeople online. Someone at a meeting this morning talked about her fear of and then her action to finally commit to a 12 step program. If she did, she was really admitting she was an alcoholic. I think maybe I haven't really committed to a "food program" or "diet" because then I would really have to say I have a weight problem. I always thought if this time I could just buckle down and really, really tried, I could do it on my own. Much like the thought process I had with alcohol.
So I have signed up. I am giving myself a week to figure out which food plan will work for me. I know that I have certain blood sugar issues and that I can't just eat a random low-calorie food plan. I know I have to eat foods I really love or I will not stay on it. I do love a lot of healthy foods, so it's not like a huge change for me. It's the accountability and consistency that I need to adhere to.
I have family and birthday celebrations next week, so it would be too challenging to start with this in mind. I will still eat healthy, but my formal plan will be put in place. I don't want to start something in a knee - jerk reaction, looking for the quick fix, which is my MO.
So in answer to the man's questions, I'm due now.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so sorry that you had to experience the complete idiocy of some strangers.
ReplyDeleteAs for your diet, have you thought about consulting a nutritionist/dietician?
I'm doing www.calorieking.com
I did sparkpeople.com but I couldn't make heads or tails of it and it basically just confused me.
Whatever path you choose, you can and will do this.
I think what you're describing is balance. You know you need to eat certain things or you'll be "off the wagon" so to speak. You also know that due to some health issues, you can't eat other things. I think that leaves you with a nice middle ground. Balance is hard, but it sounds like you know what you have to do and are considering all your options. :)
ReplyDeleteSorry I haven't comment in a while. I was on vacation!